[LACNIC/Politicas] Costos por IP al Agotamiento de IPv4

Hannigan, Martin marty at akamai.com
Mon Oct 11 11:18:13 BRT 2010

Hi Arturo,

Not much of a model aside from what I used as the "market maker". There has
been significant amounts of eBay activity in the past and there also has
been a paid "transfer of assets" observed in an RIR region[a] that had been
documented and both numbers coincide. The first reference was based on the
attempted transfer of a /24 on eBay and the bid price that I have access to
is $4. The second transfer that was attempted was executed for ~$250,000 and
with the expenses brought it to a similar cost.

Since this was a lightening talk, I opted to utilize the publicly available
reference materials versus some extended research since I felt that this was
"reasonable".

For both references to $4, see [1] noted in the presentation.

Best,

-M<

[a] eBay does not allow the auction of IPV4 addresses and shuts down the
auctions when notified. The [un]fortunate effect is that we never see the
auctions get to the closing, the last 60s of the auction, where all of the
real pricing action takes place. Based on that, I think that my $4 number is
actually unrealistically "low".