[LACNIC/Politicas] concerns regarding the IANA IP addressing function in the transition process

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Mon Sep 8 19:24:08 BRT 2014

Dear compas,

I think this is a relevant policy issue, related to the IANA transition.

As some of you recall, I am one of the [few so far] ones who advocates a
formalization of the role RIRs+NRO have in the governance of the IANA
functions. I actually tried to advance this proposition in my article in
the book produced by the WGIG in 2007 (!) -- perhaps too early...

But now there is this stewardship transition initiated by the US gov
itself, and I reaffirm my proposal that the IANA function dealing with
IP addressing governance should be formally passed on to NRO at the
operational/coordination level.

Some people think this is "complicated", quoting a number of hurdles --
among them, because either [1] it would require a change in the Icann
bylaws (I am not sure of this, but if so, so what?) or [2] while RIRs
are "membership organizations", Icann is not (so what? maybe it is way
past time Icann should become one as well, getting rid of the infamous
nominating committee to begin with -- but I am not sure this is a
problem either).

In practice, NRO (or the set of RIRs) is already coordinating this IANA
function. Icann could remain the policy lightweight oversight
organization for this function. I think something similar could be
thought regarding ccTLDs, with the current ccTLD structures (LACTLD,
CENTR etc) taking over the operational/coordinating role -- although in
this case we have a very diverse world and this would require a
different approach, fully respecting the autonomy of each ccTLD. But if
things can be worked out in this way, Icann would remain the
coordinating realm of gTLDs only, while also remaining the lightweight
oversight policy body for all other IANA functions -- provided
accountability and transparency issues are properly addressed. Maybe at
the end ASO and ccNSO would no longer make much sense.

All this said, Milton Mueller provides a disappointing account of how
NRO/RIRs seem to be handling the IANA transition process. I asked him to
authorize me to reproduce his message (originally posted to the ARIN
list) expressing his concerns.

Hope to read your comments.

fraternal regards

--c.a.

--- message from Milton Mueller to ARIN, on Sept.08, 2014 ---

A bit off topic, but possibly of interest to the members here interested
in the IANA transition. It seems the RIRs are not taking seriously the
requirement for the IANA process to be open and transparent.

Milton L Mueller
Laura J and L. Douglas Meredith Professor
http://faculty.ischool.syr.edu/mueller/