[LACNIC/Politicas] Los secuestros BGP constituyen una violación de las políticas - LAC-2019-5

Carlos Friaças cfriacas at fccn.pt
Fri Apr 12 04:26:05 -03 2019

On Thu, 11 Apr 2019, Nicolas Antoniello wrote:

(...)
> Una normativa como esta, conlleva una sanción por incumplimiento y eso es
> justamente lo que no creo que corresponda a Lacnic...
>
> Vamos a hacer unas cuantas políticas entonces:
> - Secuestro de rutas es malo (porque le hago un DoS al otro).

Nicolas,
(this one goes in english - sorry)

I think there is still a big focus on a narrow effect (DoS against a
legitimate owner) of all the possible impacts of an hijack.

Resource Hijacking is commonly observed to have several objectives
(either separately or grouped):
+ Diverting law enforcement from the real origin of packets tied
with illegal activities;
+ Temporarily make use of address space without any maintenance cost
associated (i.e. RIR membership);
+ Impersonating third party networks and services;
+ Eavesdropping on third party networks' traffic (i.e. man-in-the-middle
attacks);
+ Disrupt IP communications between two or more third party networks.

Please feel free to use the above text to start a BCOP. I'm available to
work on that too.

Best Regards,
Carlos